Adelphi (Greek for brothers) Mill was built in 1851 as a cotton mill, by 2 brothers George & Martin Swindells.
The Swindells familiy was a major force in transforming Bollington from an agricultural village of 1,200 people in 1801 to an industrial town of 4,600 people by 1851.
The single storey building at White Nancy built in Victorian times was a stable & during World War II acted as a lookout point for the Home Guard.
The Aqueduct looking over Bollington Old Town stands at 60ft (18m)
The Macclesfield Canal was one of the last narrow canals to be built, which opened on the 19th November 1831.In fact is was very nearly built as a railway. Ladies were not permitted on the boats for the preservation of their health being exposed to a cold & damp atmosphere.
Bollington has the nickname 'Happy Valley'. Samual Gregg who came to Bollington in 1832 took over Lowerhouse Mill, who valued his workers & endeavoured to improve their living conditions. Gregg called Bollington 'GOLDENTHAL' German for Happy Valley.
The Macclesfield Canal carried coals from Poynton by horse drawn barges, raw cotton to Bollinton, & silk from Macclesfield.
Joseph Brook & the Swindells family built Clarence Mill as a cotton mill.
A swing bridge across the canal carried skips loaded with boiler ask from the mill, which was tipped over the bank.
The mill stopped spinning cotton in 1970.
Stacked planks of wood located at the canalside are used to slot into grooves located at the bridges where the canal is narrow, to seal off a length of the canal so that it can be drained for repairs.
Redway House and Cottage were formerly The Redway Tavern and before that a farm and three cottages owned in 1848 by a widow, Anne Gaskell. The farm comprised only three fields, two for meadow and one pasture. The car park occupies the meadow area. Anne Gaskell had nine children, seven of whom lived with her.
Myth has it.....a member of the Gaskell family of Ingersley erected White Nancy between 1815 and 1818 to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo. It is probably named after Nancy Gaskell of Rainow and her daughter also called Nancy. Originally it was fitted with an access door and furniture for the family to enjoy a picnic. Note the letters in the paving stones showing compass directions. Using the compass signs look southwest and see the Jodrell Bank dish.
Monday to Friday Lunch departing 12.30pm & 3.30pm including Cruise.
Ideal for schools & residential homes
Soup & Sandwich
Sandwich, Crisps, Fruit & Yoghurt
£15 per head
Subject to MINIMUM parties of 10
White Nancy Cruising Restaurant Boat departs from Bollington Wharf, situated opposite the fabulous structure of the Adelphi Mill.
Originally the White Nancy site was stables & a coal holding, coal was stored within the embankment to the side of the Aqueduct.
The old access point can still be seen from the base under the bridge.
10 minutes into the cruise, sailing high above Bollington Old Town, we get our first sighting of Kerridge Hill & the White Nancy Monument.
From the many myths......it was built to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo, White Nancy was built in 1817 by John Gaskell. It originally had an entrance to a single room which was furnished with stone benches and a central round stone table, but the entrance is now blocked.
In the mid-1940s, the Royal Signal Corps Trials Unit based at Catterick would drive a truck-mounted dish-shaped transmitter/receiver up to White Nancy. Here they tested cathode-ray tube transmission and reception (data-based, not images), to a mobile receiving station on another truck. The receiver would be driven further and further south over time, until eventually the Corps at White Nancy were sending a signal to the south coast of the country. Locals told the signallers that the landmark was named after the lead horse that had transported all the materials for the building of White Nancy.
The circular structure built from sandstone rubble is about 18 feet (5 m) high. Stone paving has been laid around its base which is inscribed with the points of the compass.
For many years the monument remained unpainted, it was not until 1925 before it received it's White coating, which can be seen today.
The cruise passes Clarence Mill, a stone building built in 1831, like all the other Mills in Bollington was to spin cotton. The raw cotton was brought from Liverpool Docks through Rochdale, Ashton, Peak Forest & the Macclesfield Canals.
The cotton thread was then sent to other mills in Lancashire to be woven into finished cloth.
The Waterhouse Mill (based at Bridge 27) now demolished was said to have produced the finest cotton in the world & was sought after by lace makers everywhere.
Today Clarence Mill (Bridge 26A) has been converted in to offices & business, the top floors are luxury appartments & is home to the Discovery Centre & Canalside Radio Station.
The Macclesfield Canal can be as much as 6 inches lower than normal during the summer months.
It was built as a 'state of the art' waterway.
Thomas telford who laid out the route & designed the canal applied all the lessons he had learnt on earlier canals. However, his design was specific for commercial carrying,....how was he ever to know that 'Leisure' would soon become it's principal purpose?
The canal is very shallow & has a tapered bottom. The deep channel is just wide enough to allow 2 boats to pass in the centre.
This means that the depth of the canal at the sides is insufficient to moor up at many places along the canal.
The canal is noted for it's fine stone bridges or snake bridges, where the towpath changes sides of the canal. These bridges were designed to allow the horse to move over without having to untie them from the boat.
Please note a 10% service charge will be added to all guest bills
Offer can not be used in conjunction with any other promotional offer.
Prior reservation and menu requirements are essential.
Please advise in advance of any dietary requirements.
A £12.00 non refundable deposit per person is required in advance to confirm your booking.
Enquiries will be held for 5 days subject to receipt of deposit, after which the date will be released.
Please make deposits payable to
White Nancy (UK) Ltd
See Tracey for details